Portuguese Language Teacher
- To be an example of Jesus' love and teachings to others through your personal life, dress, and relationships
- To mentor others to grow in their relationship with God and to make a decision to follow Jesus as their Lord and Saviour.
- To be involved in all aspects of teaching high school including lesson planning, instruction, Bible-based spiritual education, classroom management, supervision, extracurricular activities, grading, and administration
- To regularly attend, participate in the local SDA Sabbath School and Worship Services;
- To be prepared to participate and lead in ministry and programs of the local SDA Church;
- To visit and train others in the outlying districts of Timor-Leste
- All other duties as assigned.
- specific grade-level assignments will be made just before the beginning of the school year when you arrive; you may end up teaching different/additional classes than first thought. Flexibility is needed!
- Previous experience in working with children and leading some form of children's program or ministry is required.
- 2 years college or University.
- Elementary education is preferred.
- Speak Fluent Portuguese
- Speak Fluent English.
WOMEN: Work—modest blouse/collared shirt, dress pants (NO JEANS)/loose-fitting skirt/dress below the knee; Church—modest blouse, loose-fitting skirt/dress below the knee. [Please wear slips under skirts and dresses.] Recreation—modest knee-length shorts, T-shirts; shorts & shirt required for swimming.
MEN: Work—collared shirt, long professional pants (NO JEANS); Church—dress pants, collared dress shirt. Recreation—modest shorts/T-shirts, modest swimwear.
Unacceptable Dress: Tight and/or short shorts, clothing with low cleavages, short/sheer blouses or dresses, T-shirts with negative slogans/logos, bikinis, or revealing swimwear. Jewelry, dreadlocks, piercings, visible tattoos, extreme haircuts/styles. Please do not bring jewelry.
Shared accommodation in a concrete building. Includes basic furniture, shared AVS kitchen, shared AVS bathroom, fridge, stove, fans or A/C, 220V electrical. One set of towels and one set of bedding is provided. Basic cooking and eating utensils are provided. Basic housekeeping supplies are provided. Beyond these things, the volunteer is responsible to bring or purchase anything else he/she may want or need.
Special arrangements need to be made for married volunteers prior to approval as there is currently no married volunteer housing.
- Local Travel
- Monthly Living Allowance - USD $300
- Visa - Timor-Leste pays work visa expenses after arrival.
- Visa - Volunteer pays for all expenses up to and including entering Timor-Leste, TAIS pays work visa expenses after arrival.
- Travel to and from location
- Medical Inoculations
No Child Accommodations
Monthly Living Allowance - USD $300
Volunteer needs to raise funding to cover travel and expenses for both the required AVS orientation AND travel from the AVS orientation to Dili, Timor-Leste (unless the volunteer has committed to teaching at TAIS for 2 full years). The monthly allowance is enough to cover food and other monthly expenses if the volunteer chooses to live simply and eat primarily a local diet, rather than buying all the imported food, eating out regularly, or spending a lot of money/time on the internet. It is optional to fundraise an additional $100-$150USD/month for more comfortable living.
The monthly allowance stated above is the amount that they will receive after tithe, tax, and housing costs have been deducted. Please enquire for more information (admin[email protected]).