For NAD and SAD calls, please click the “Legacy Volunteer Login” link on the home page.
Teacher, Physics, Chemistry
- Be an example of Jesus' love and teachings to others through your personal life, dress and relationships.
- Mentor others to grow in their relationship with God and to make a decision to follow Jesus as their Lord and Saviour.
- Be involved in all aspects of teaching elementary school including: lesson planning, instruction, Bible-based spiritual education, English-language instruction, classroom management, supervision, extracurricular activities, grading, and administration.
- Possibly teach English language (ESL) classes or other classes to children as needed.
- Regularly attend, participate in the local SDA Sabbath School and Worship Services.
- Be prepared to participate and lead in ministry and in programs of the local SDA Church.
- Visit and train others in the outlying districts of Timor-Leste.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Specific grade-level assignments will be made just before the beginning of the school year when you arrive; you may end up teaching different/additional classes than first thought. Flexibility is needed!
- Previous experience teaching Chemistry and/or Physics is preferred.
- 2 years college or University
- Secondary education is preferred.
- Speak Fluent English
- Modest attire. Teachers are required to wear a uniform 4 days a week.
- The other days:
- Work—modest blouse/collared shirt, dress pants (NO JEANS)/loose fitting skirt/dress below the knee.
- Church—modest blouse, loose fitting skirt/dress below the knee. [Please wear slips under skirts and dresses.]
- Recreation—modest knee-length shorts, T-shirts; shorts & shirt required for swimming.
- Work—collared shirt, long professional pants (NO JEANS).
- Church—dress pants, collared dress shirt.
- Recreation—modest shorts/T-shirts, modest swimwear.
- Unacceptable Dress: Tight and/or short shorts, clothing with low cleavages, short/sheer blouses or dresses, T-shirts with negative slogans/logos, bikinis or revealing swimwear. Jewelry, dreadlocks, piercings, visible tattoos, extreme haircuts/styles. Please do not bring jewelry.
- Shared accommodation in concrete building.
- Includes basic furniture, shared AVS kitchen, shared AVS bathroom, fridge, stove, fans or A/C, 220V electrical.
- One set of towels and one set of bedding is provided.
- Basic cooking and eating utensils are provided.
- Basic housekeeping supplies are provided.
- Beyond these things, the volunteer is responsible to bring or purchase anything else he/she may want or need.
- Special arrangements need to be made for married volunteers prior to approval as there is currently no married volunteer housing.
PURPOSE: To demonstrate God’s love to and establish positive relationships between the Seventh-day Adventist Church and the people of Timor-Leste through teaching elementary school at the Timor-Leste Adventist International School (TAIS).
SPECIAL NOTE: Looking for a real "mission adventure"? ! Prepare for a trail-blazing position in this school just opened in September 2015 in a country only 17 years old and in a Seventh-day Adventist Mission. It requires a cheerful, pioneering person with special commitment, enthusiasm and patience. See www.tais.edu.tl for more school information.
- Visa - Shared
- Local Travel
- Monthly Living Allowance: USD $300
- Visa (Shared): Volunteer pays for all expenses up to and including entering Timor-Leste, TLM pays work visa expenses after arrival.
- Travel to/from location.
Special arrangements need to be made for married volunteers prior to approval as there is currently no married volunteer housing.
No Child Accommodations
Monthly Living Allowance: USD $300
Volunteer needs to raise funding to cover travel and expenses for both the required AVS orientation AND travel from the AVS orientation to Dili, Timor-Leste (unless the volunteer has committed to teaching at TAIS for 2 full years). The monthly allowance is enough to cover food and other monthly expenses if the volunteer chooses to live simply and eat primarily a local diet, rather than buying all the imported food, eating out regularly, or spending a lot of money/time on the internet. It is optional to fundraise an additional $100-$150USD/month for more comfortable living.
The monthly allowance stated above is the amount that they will receive after tithe, tax, and housing costs have been deducted. Please enquire for more information ([email protected]).