Now that your assignment has been officially
approved in writing, you can:
- Work with your volunteer coordinator regarding
visa and travel arrangements.
- Begin immunizations early to ensure protection and to avoid receiving injections overseas.
- Communicate with your assignment supervisor
to learn all you can about your specific position,
the institution, and the people.
- Study all you can about the country where
you are going.
- Complete the Preparation for Mission
online course, or a similar program at an Adventist university.
- Collect materials for your job assignment
such as textbooks, evangelism tools, literature,
- Seek the support of family and friends in
prayer and in promises to write. Ask your church
clerk to mail you church bulletins, newsletters,
- Finalize your responsibilities at home – pay
off debts, complete assignments, change of address
- Be sure your division volunteer coordinator
has a copy of your itinerary. This, along with
the Insurance form, enables your enrollment in
the AVS insurance program.
- Obtain the AVS insurance card to take with
- Above all, pray for wisdom. Study God’s
Word. Know why you are a Seventh-day Adventist
and want to serve God as an international volunteer.
- Be prepared for adjustments in your assignment
when you arrive on site due to changed circumstances
or personnel, or your personality and skill level.
A successful experience may depend on your ability
to be flexible.
- Believe God has called you – and determine
to follow through on your commitment to serve
Him cheerfully, willingly, and despite the challenges
you WILL meet.